Topic 1 – What is Multimedia and Interactive Learning, and Why is it important?

Multimedia learning with Web-based Games

I would argue that the example of Rich’s son learning through the web-based game is a strong one. This is because the web-based game was based on historical health events that occurred in a story format. As his son progressed in the game he learned more about different pandemics, how they spread, and about the impact of vaccinations (McCue, 2020). This is an effective learning strategy because rather than students listening to a lecture or reading about pandemics from a textbook they are able to learn about pandemics at their own pace in an experiential activity. This game is not only effective because of the experiential aspect, but primarily because of the story-telling aspect. As stated by AJ Juliani, “compelling stories…reach students both emotionally and biochemically,” (Juliani, 2016) which enhances the learning experience. Therefore, Rich’s son was participating in an enriching learning experience disguised as a game.

My experience with an interactive learning experience that did not involved technology

A learning experience I have participated in that has had a positive impact on my learning occurred during my orientation for the education program. There was a small group of professionals that coordinated the Blanket Exercise. This exercise was an informative and experiential way of beginning to understand the difficulties that Indigenous people have experienced. I vividly remember all of our blankets laying openly on the floor, but as the activity continued our group of participants began to lessen and the blankets continued to get smaller. For example, some participants were guided to leave the blankets to show the loss of community members due to smallpox. While this was going on, the size of our blankets decreased to represent the loss of land that Indigenous people experienced. This activity was powerful because although I didn’t live through those experiences I was able to better understand the hardships Indigenous people have experienced throughout history. Because of this, I would say this is one of my most memorable examples of experiential learning that did not include technology. 

My experience using multimedia learning/reflection

After reading each article I thought of the ways I have used multimedia learning for my own studies. I often use Quizlet and the different techniques they offer for studying. The two features offered by Quizlet that I use most are the diagram feature and the photo feature. Both features offer a learning experience that connects terms or definitions to pictures. When using Quizlet I knew I would retain the information quite well, what I did not realized was that it was because I was participating in multimedia learning. I also had not realized that by creating those study sets I was participating in multimedia instruction as well. This occurred through the creation of “mental representations” (Mayer, 2014, p. 4.) of each term.

To demonstrate the multimedia learning and instruction benefits offered by Quizlet I made a diagram to learn the names of colours. Click the photo above to access my Quizlet!

Resources

Juliani, A. (2016, March 21). The Hidden Importance of Teaching With Stories. Retrieved June 05, 2020, from http://ajjuliani.com/hidden-importance-teaching-stories/

Mayer, R. E. (2014). The Cambridge Handbook of Multimedia Learning. The Cambridge Handbook of Multimedia Learning. doi:10.1017/cbo9781139547369

McCue, R. (Director). (2020). EDCI 337 Topic 1 – Introduction to Interactive & Multimedia Learning [Video file]. Retrieved 2020, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V39sIKsRpUI&feature=youtu.be