Peer Blog Post Feedback – Week 1- Carly

Peer Blog Post Feedback – Week 1- Carly

Photo retrieved from Unsplash.com: Glenn Carstens-Peters

What a great blog post Carly, I especially like the video you included on student learning. It reminded me of the Flow Theory video. Primarily because the flow theory, like your video, encourages students to pursue their interests through learning. As stated in the Flow Theory video, there are 5 steps to reach a state of flow, or intense focus. In your video I found overlapping knowledge that connects to the 5 factors of flow. Below I have listed a table to better show the connections between the two videos.

What is Flow Theory? What Does This Mean For Our Students

7 Things That Happen When Students Own Their Learning

A task that is “intrinsically rewarding” (Spencer, 2017) “Students fall in love with learning by finding joy in pursuing their passions” (Spencer, 2017)
“Clear goals and the a sense of progress” (Spencer, 2017) “[students] embrace a maker mindset as they walk through a design process and launch their work” (Spencer, 2017)
“The task needs clear and immediate feedback” (Spencer, 2017) “They develop iterative thinking, viewing mistakes as a chance to learn” (Spencer, 2017)
The challenge should match the skill “this requires a sense of…agency over the task” (Spencer, 2017) “They become self starters exploring new frontiers, asking hard questions and trying new things” (Spencer, 2017)
“Intense focus on the present” (Spencer, 2017) “They become architects of their own learning engaging in project management and collaboration” (Spencer, 2017)

I feel that there is a strong connection between the two videos although neither of them explicitly relates to the other. As you can see in row two, each video discusses the importance of including students’ interest in learning. Additionally, the connection made in row four, was based on how I interpreted the videos views on mistakes, and that when students see their mistakes and recognize them as an opportunity to learn that is a form of immediate feedback. Lastly, when students are able to challenge themselves and set their learning pace, as shown in row five, that can be viewed as a form of student agency. This is because the student has control over the task at hand.

Resources

Spencer, J. (Director). (2017, June 17). 7 Things That Happen When Students Own Their Learning [Video file]. Retrieved June 08, 2020, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=21

Spencer, J. (Director). (2017, December 3). What is Flow Theory? What does this mean for our students? [Video file]. Retrieved June 08, 2020, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=261