Topic 3 – Multimedia Design for Learning

Timothy Meinberg – Unsplash.com

Which multimedia learning (MML) principles did Dr. Ray Pastore now follow in his video about MML principles? Why might an expert not be able to follow all the principles when creating a multimedia learning object?

Dr. Ray Pastore follows signalling, interactivity effect, spatial and temporal contiguity.

An expert may not be able to follow all the principles when creating a multimedia learning object because some outlets may not support all of the principles. For example, if you use a youtube video made by another user, they may not have bolded the words that you want your students to remember. Or, if you’re using a chapter in a textbook, the diagrams may be on separate pages due to their size or the page layout. However, if you use a tool such as PowerPoint or Google slides you are able to insert audio narration, images, and text wherever you feel necessary while also having the ability to bold or highlight important words.

Other thoughts or reflections on interactive and multimedia learning from any of these topics videos, readings, and H5P lab?

I participated in the H5P lab and I really enjoyed it. When creating the interactive video, I incorporated true or false questions, multiple choice questions and a fill in the blank style question. This I found to be a great alternative to taking notes during videos, because rather than students taking notes and being unsure of what they should be focusing on, they can listen along, and important information will be highlighted through interactive questions. I liked the pause feature when adding the interactions as it gives students time to read the question and take notes on what’s being asked if they choose to. I look forward to using interactive videos in my future classroom.

Pastore, R. (Director). (2018). What is Multimedia Learning? What is Multimedia? [Video file]. Retrieved 2020, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-sknUVq1mk&feature=emb_title