Blog 7 – Pink Day Shirt

Blog 7 – Pink Day Shirt

Hey crafters!

I wish I could have posted this last week, but I really wanted to post about privacy for blog 5, which bumped this blog back a week. Unfortunately the designing of this shirt was a little trickier than I had thought. I was going to use more than two colours but because of the colour of the shirt I decided it was nicer with just two. To add to this, when I had designed the shirt I used font that was free for a limited time, so when I went to make the shirt it showed that I had to pay $5 for it. I did look at other fonts but wasn’t happy with them so I went ahead and bought the font. This problem occurred primarily because the shirt took 6 weeks to deliver from Amazon. 

Here is the pattern on my canvas flipped as when you do HTV you have to mirror the pattern for cutting.

This project was more technical in terms of design. I had to centre align the text and I found a new tool that keeps each of the lines of words an equal distance apart, which I have never done before. I don’t think I have quite mastered this skill as it was distancing them automatically and I couldn’t see how to adjust the distance. Hopefully this is something I can find out soon. Another skill I used was grouping, duplicating and horizontally flipping an item. I had organized the hearts really nicely on one side and I wanted to mirror it but I wasn’t sure how it would work. Then I realized that because of all the alignments I had done the hearts should fit the other side perfectly. That’s when I grouped all the hearts together to duplicate them, once they were all duplicated they don’t stay grouped so I had to group the new set of hearts and then from there I flipped them. This allowed me to create a perfectly symmetrical pattern. I will say though, that I had to adjust one of the bottom hearts on the left as it sat a little too closely to the B in buddy. 

Here is the shirt half way through the ironing process.

This project forced me to use new skills I hadn’t used very often and I was so proud of how it looked. Being a mild perfectionist I loved having the hearts symmetrical so I will definitely be using those techniques in the future.  

Feature image retrieved from Unsplash.com: Jason Leung