Week 6 – Jesse Miller

Week 6 – Jesse Miller

In today’s class with guest speaker Jesse Miller was quite an eye-opener. I learned a lot about the use of information you provide to google as well as Snapchat. The most startling fact I learned today was that Snapchat keeps every single photo you take on the app. This is whether you send, save or delete the photo. This is a little concerning as I have personally taken many photos on Snapchat over the years of having it. It was a little settling hearing what they keep the photos for, however, I will definitely be more aware of what photos I am taking. From my understanding, Snapchat uses the information to find what brands are trending based on what you have in the photos (clothing logos, etc) to sell to companies and they keep your photos to show company value and relevance when they want to sell their company. For whatever reason, I feel a little better knowing this, I suppose it because the chance of one of my silly selfies being leaked is slimmer, but I could be wrong. Later on in the lesson, Jesse mentions how our online presence could affect job opportunities in the future, which wasn’t a surprise to me but I was instantly panicking about silly posts I made as a teen and things that I may have liked by accident. I was quickly reassured that although they can choose not to hire me based on my online presence, chances are they will look at whether or not I have systematically made bad choices online, or if it was only a few occurrences.

In terms of those google security robot tests we have to take sometimes, I learned that they are dependant on how we answer them…kind of crazy! Unfortunately, I had forgotten to take notes during his discussion because of how shocked and interested I was, so I could be incorrect on this google information but I thought it was so crazy that there isn’t anyone making the tests and monitoring them its all computer-generated based on human answers!

How cool was that video?! I can’t believe I learned how to use green screen today. I have used iMovie before, and have had some difficulties as there are a lot of features. I had no idea I could do green screen video editing on it which has honestly been lifechanging. It was quite a bit easier than I thought it was going to be, I was quite overwhelmed when hearing that was my task for the day. I’m super impressed with how good it looks and I can’t wait to try making my own green screen videos…I hope my cat will cooperate with me!

Featured image retrieved from Unsplash.com: Sara Kurfeb